Friday, October 2, 2009

Giving Thanks.

I'm feeling very fortunate.  I have so much to be grateful for.

I am grateful that there are wonderful people looking out for my kid.  Yesterday I got a call from the speech therapist.  She wanted my permission to petition the school board to let Ryan have an additional weekly session with her, because he's doing so well she thinks he would benefit from more one-on-one time.  And Ryan's itinerant teacher wants to visit the school because she's concerned that Ryan might be ill-served by a class that has several non-verbal kids in it.  Who would turn down these offers of help?

I am grateful that we can afford for me to be unemployed. We are so fortunate that Stu's job is secure and we have savings to draw from.  I have a few opportunities on the horizon, but I'm not in a position where I have to jump on any old out-of-field gig.

I'm grateful for my family.  I hear so many horrible stories about families who jump ship when a child has special needs - grandparents who blame their child or child-in-law for the grandchild's problems, couples who divorce because they blame each other for their child's condition.  Our families are totally on board for this journey, and I don't take that for granted.

What are you grateful for?

3 comments:

  1. I am grateful to have such a special cousin who reminds me to be grateful for the things in my life.
    You are smart, insightful, witty and a fabulous mom. You indeed have lots to be grateful for. You inspire me.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mostly, when reading your posts, that there are moms like you out there. Sappy Saturday moment but totally true.

    ReplyDelete

Keep it civil, people.