Friday, January 22, 2010

Grateful

I was catching up on some of my favorite autism-mommy blogs, and started clicking through links to their favorite special needs blogs, and drifted into a world of schadenfreude.  Reading about other families' problems made me feel like a whiny little bitch!

I'm so grateful that my son is as physically healthy as he is.  He doesn't suffer from constant seizures.  He doesn't have a chromosomal deletion or duplication.  He can eat real food, without need of a feeding tube.  His legs and spine and skull are all intact and functional.  He has two original kidneys and is not on a waiting list for replacements.  He doesn't bang his head into walls on purpose.

I am grateful that my complaints are so small and manageable.

Oh, the phone just rang.  Ryan's teacher thinks he has pink eye.  And we're getting on a plane first thing in the morning.  No problem.

2 comments:

  1. Yesterday I was doing a program about Down syndrome, and a fourth grader in the audience asked, "Is that the same as autism?" I thought it was good that he had heard of autism, and was wondering about it, even if he didn't quite understand what it was.

    I think I did a decent job of explaining (on a fourth-grade level) how autism is different from a cognitive disability. I made it clear, at least, that autism is not an intellectual impairment, that it has more to do with perceptual differences. But I'm not sure I clearly explained exactly what autism is. It's hard to explain/understand, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same way when I read other preemie blogs. So lucky that Daphne is so close to a normal baby. Then other times I read about preemies who were born even earlier doing things she doesn't do, and I get depressed. It's all a matter of perspective, I guess.

    ReplyDelete

Keep it civil, people.