Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Autism isn't caused by vaccines. Really. No, REALLY.

You all know my opinion on the whole vaccines-cause-autism argument: bullshit.  The medical journal Lancet now agrees: it has redacted the famous 1998 research paper that started the controversy.  the Lancet says:
"several elements of the 1998 paper by Wakefield et al are incorrect.... Therefore we fully retract this paper from the published record."

Can the controversy be over now?  Will parents please go back to having their children vaccinated so kids don't needlessly die of measles in the 21st freaking century?

2 comments:

  1. Amen sistah. I think that study undermined one of the most effective and efficient public health advances ever made (besides handwashing). I really, really hope we figure out what causes autism, but in the meantime, can we please stop kids from being hospitalized with whooping cough and measles b/c they weren't vaccinated? It's 2010!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I am one of the parents that really saw the damage that 4 vaxes and a flu shot in one visit can do to a baby. However, that being said, I am not against vaxing. I am against the aggressive schedule that pokes our kids repeatedly in each visit. Yep, vax your kids but slower and wiser. It does harm some kids. Unfortunately, we don't know who it affects until it's too late. Just my experience with our son and my opinion.

    ReplyDelete

Keep it civil, people.