Thursday, March 25, 2010

Shorties: Making Friends

Ryan's teachers have been coaching him on certain niceties of conversation, and how to answer a few specific questions. Sometimes I discover Ryan's new areas of expertise in surprising exchanges.

The other day we were in the elevator, and a neighbor asked Ryan why his tricycle had the letters RYAN on it. I tried prompting him: "What's your name?"

No answer.

"What's your name?"

He said, "Meredith."

Oh. Surprise, he knows my name.

"No, that's my name. What's your name?"

"Ryan." Then he paused. "Mommy, this is Bike. Bike, this, uh, this, Mommy, Bike...." He apparently is being taught to make introductions, but he was having trouble remembering the formula: A this is B, B this is A.

"Pleased to meet you, Bike!" I said graciously.

....

This morning, Ryan was playing with a pile of stuffed animals. He held one up, looked at me, and announced, "This is my friend, Penguin."

He held up a polar bear. "This is my friend, Bear."

He held up the penguin's scarf, which had fallen off. "This is my friend, Scarf."

....

Then we were looking at the stuffies' tails. "Do you have a tail?" I asked him. (properly answering yes/no questions is a major thing we've been working on.)

He looked at me like I was an idiot.

"No. I'm a boy."

Duh!

1 comment:

Keep it civil, people.