Monday, April 26, 2010

Delayed reaction

I'm getting old.

A few months shy of my 35th birthday, I'm suddenly wearing glasses for the first time.  And not just glasses: progressive lenses.  Glorified freaking bifocals.

This is a (naturally) big adjustment for me, and I assumed it would be a big change for Ryan, too.  Ryan, like most 4-year-olds, isn't so good with change.  I feared he would rip them off my face the moment I put them on.

But things didn't go exactly as I had feared.

Saturday afternoon, Stu tried to prep Ryan, telling him that Mommy will be wearing glasses a lot now.  Ryan came with us to pick up the new glasses Saturday evening.  He saw me put them on.  But he didn't seem to notice anything was different.

Sunday afternoon, he looked at me and smiled. "Mommy, you wearing glasses!" he observed.  Then he went back to looking out the train window.

Sunday night, a full 24 hours after I first put on the new glasses, Ryan stared at me with a look of sheer horror.  He screeched, "Take off the glasses!  Take off the glasses!"  He trembled.  Out of nowhere he was truly terrified.  I took off my glasses and showed him I was still Mommy underneath.  I put them back on, and he shrieked for me to take them off.  I told him no, sorry.

And he seemed ok with that.

We went through the bedtime routine without incident, and this morning he has not yet reacted to the glasses at all.

The optometrist told me it will take me 2-3 weeks to adjust to the progressive lenses.  I wonder how long it will take Ryan.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep it civil, people.