Thursday, July 29, 2010

A Tea Party

"Mommy, would you like some?"

Captain Awesome* has jumped into my downstairs neighbor's kiddie pool.  Uninvited.  While she wasn't home.  With all his clothes on.  The neighbor is a good sport about such things, so I decide that as long as I'm supervising, all will be forgiven.

In the kiddie pool, the Captain is playing with a tiny watering can.  He holds it up for me to see and offers me pretend tea or something.

"Oh, thank you, Baby!  Yes, I would love some!"

I make a cup with my hand, and he pours the entire contents of the watering can into it.  I play the gracious guest.

"Mommy, would you like some?"

"More?  Oh, yes please."

I marvel that he has developed the ability to engage in the most rudimentary form of pretend play.  He pours more water on my hand.

"Mommy, would you like some?"

"No, thank you.  I'm full."

Big blue eyes blink at me.

"Mommy, would you like some?"

"Um, yes.  Thank you."

This game goes on for another dozen or so exchanges, each phrased exactly the same way.  He has learned the formula for initiating a pretend tea party; he has not yet learned to riff on this theme or proceed to Step 2.  With a little modeling, I bet he'll soon be offering me cake to go with my tea.


* As kindergarten approaches, I think the time has come for a little more anonymity.  I'm trying this out first to see how I like it before going back and changing every reference to the kid's name.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep it civil, people.