Wednesday, October 6, 2010

The Book: Update

Remember that children's book I was writing?  Well, "I Have Autism, I Am Awesome" has found a publisher, I have a contract, and illustrations are in the works!  Completion is still a long way off, but I'll keep you posted.

It's a small publishing house - more like a publishing kitchen table - so I will be responsible for much of the promotional work.  In preparation for this, I have started compiling a list of autism-related organizations and publications I will want to contact down the line.  There are a lot of them - local, national, international.  This could easily become a never-ending research project.

The autism community tends to split into two broad factions: the neurodiversity camp, and the cure autism contingent.  As you know by now, I believe that autism is a distinctive way of being  - not a disease - and that individuals on the spectrum should be proud of their special abilities; my book kind of reads like a neurodiversity primer. 

But if I want to sell my book and my agenda, I'm going to have to talk to the families on the other side of the aisle as well.  Entertaining the thought of chatting up the cure community is only a little less frightening to me than the thought of being trapped in a room with Christine O'Donnell.  I want them to read my book to their children.  Perhaps it will help their kids feel proud of who they are, and not ashamed of being "diseased."

Any suggestions of organizations I should talk to when it comes time to promote this thing?

4 comments:

  1. Oh, congratulations!! That's absolutely fantastic news. I can't wait to see it!

    Consider, also the "mommy-blogging" communities, which can sometimes have large reach and lots of word-of-mouth potential. Donate copies to local libraries.

    Communities of people who are concerned with encouraging and supporting diversities of all kinds would also welcome this project, I suspect. UU Churches would be a potential public appearance venue. And try independent radio stations (KPFT is here in the Houston area--if you need an in for a review/interview, I know someone very connected there). Also upscale catalogs or boutiques that feature other kinds of learning-about-diversities resources.

    Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, I am so thrilled for you! Let me know if there's anything I can do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! Good for you!
    Grandma is ready and willing to do stuff - phonecalls, tours, making coffee, whatever. Having just be downsized for the second time in just a few years, I definitely am ready to read books to folks. I can even feed a child while his mother reads books.
    What an exciting chapter of your life!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elaine is here cheering, too! Great news, and well-earned.

    I can't think of any other outlets to add to the suggestions, but I can contact a few individuals, including a mom (of an autistic son) in Oregon who is a nationally-connected journalist. Just say the word. And add CBC Radio to your NPR publicity.

    ReplyDelete

Keep it civil, people.