Friday, February 25, 2011

The Book - a Fabulous Preview

I feel like my children's book has been gestating about as long as a fetal elephant. I banged out the story in January 2010, secured a publisher late that summer, and now the illustration process is wrapping up.

Wanna see some pictures?

Yeah, I thought you did.

The artist is my friend Rebecca Rivard, a fabulously creative lady (she has developed arts education programs for schools, children’s museums, and after-school programs in Boston and Chicago) who is somehow fitting in illustrating my book while raising three kids under age 6; I think she was painting while in labor. This will be her first book.

I am five years old. I have autism. I am awesome.

I like to play hide and seek.

I can make an elephant sound.

Sometimes things get too loud.
 Seriously, how awesome is Rebecca? I am thrilled to see this book coming together. I hope it will be a useful tool to help families begin the lifelong conversation about autism with their ASD children, and to help kids on the spectrum frame their self-identities in terms of their strengths and special abilities, not just their challenges.

Stay tuned for updates...

2 comments:

  1. Awesome son, awesome book. Congratulations, Meredith. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see the final product. And I think it will be great to be able to teach typical children about their spectrum peers too.

    ReplyDelete

Keep it civil, people.