Friday, March 18, 2011

And my derby name is...

I am officially a league member of Suburbia Roller Derby. I think my first game will be next month. I'm proud of the work I've put in so far, and I'm looking forward to becoming a better player. And I'm grateful to Stu for taking care of Ryan while I'm at practice, and for getting past his... um... initially intense reservations... about the whole derby thing.

I tried out for the league as an escape from autism, and as an outlet for my related anger, but it's become much more than that. I love the sport, I love my teammates, but mostly I love the sense of accomplishment I get from learning the game skill by skill.

I have fewer hang-ups about my appearance, because I now think of my body in terms of what it can do: how fast can it skate, how easily can it control my speed, how low can it squat, how hard can it hit.

I have more self-confidence than ever before.

My endurance - both physical and mental - has increased exponentially.

And I'm living much more in the moment, which makes me more relaxed about the future.

So now, in honor of my tendency to make involuntary kung-fu noises whenever I make contact, you may call me:

Ouching Tiger.

2 comments:

  1. meredith- that's awesome! My husband has a roller derby obsession (chicks on skates hitting each other is right up his alley)- we may have to come check you out this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! So proud of you The 'Dith (even though I will no longer call you that). You've grown so much as a skater and I can't wait to be on the track with you. :) I wish we all had as much dedication and desire and drive as you have shown!

    ReplyDelete

Keep it civil, people.