Thursday, April 21, 2011

Declaration of Independence, part 1

I've heard that typical two-year-olds like to assert their independence by trying to do things for themselves. We still haven't seen the I'll-DO-IT-myself stage - if it were up to Ryan, he would never use his hands again - but we have just entered an I'll-GO-THERE-myself phase.

It took me a while to figure this out, but when Ryan points in two directions at once, it means "You go that way, I'll go this way." He has started giving me verbal instructions to that effect as well. "Mommy, you in the elevator, I go down the stairs. BYE!"

I try to encourage the impulse when it's practical (safe), because I want him to feel grown-up and proud of himself. I'm mostly pretty ok with this around our building. Our neighbors all know Ryan well enough to know which adults he needs to end up with eventually, and Ryan sings to himself loudly enough that I can hear where in the stairwell he is.

I also let him do this on the sidewalks between apartment buildings in our neighborhood. I'll pretend to go "that way," but I'll actually hide pretty near him where I can see Ryan but he can't see me.

I'm trying not to be too nervous about it.

As long as we're in a safe, reasonably-controlled environment.

Yeah, you already know where Part 2 is going...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep it civil, people.