Wednesday, September 28, 2011

I can't say No to a bunny.

The night before Ryan's sixth birthday, we assumed our regular bedtime positions: Ryan lying under the covers, me lying on top of the blanket holding two books. He chose which of the books I would read first - a strange story of little elves who make soup out of dirty socks. A few pages from the end, Ryan took the book from me. He never does this. He held the book over his head, studying the pictures - a perfectly normal thing to do, but totally unexpected for Ryan. He turned the pages, I kept reading.

When I held up the next book, Don't Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late, Ryan asked, "Can I read it?" Totally casually, like, you know, I always ask to read the book myself at bedtime.

Knock yourself out, kid.

So Ryan held the book over his head and "read" the whole story out loud from memory while I provided the requisite Greek chorus responses ("No! Go to bed, Pigeon!"). When he got to the part where the pigeon says, "My bunny wants to stay up, too," my heart melted.
It is very hard to say no to a bunny.

At the end of the story, Ryan handed me the book. He still looked pretty alert, so I asked if he wanted one last story. He looked me in the eye and said, "You can turn off the light."

I think my baby is growing up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep it civil, people.