Friday, December 2, 2011

One Ringy Dingy

Last night, Ryan had his first real phone conversation.

We had been playing outside, and Ryan tripped on the sidewalk and skinned his knee and elbow and did something to his fingers that could only be cured by slobbering all over them. He cried all the way home.

As he nursed his wounds with his magical healing White Blanket I tried to distract him by reading him a book. Halfway through the story, my mother called. To keep Ryan distracted, I turned on the speaker phone function.

"Do you want to say hi to Grandma?" I asked. I expected he would say "Hi, Grandma" and then tune out, or just say Yes to whatever Grandma asked him.

I was wrong. So wrong.

Unprompted, here's what poured out of his mouth (all in a dramatically sad tone):

"Hi, Grandma. I tripped and fell on the sidewalk and I hurt my knee and I put a bandaid on it and White Blanket feels much better."

Whoa.

Grandma, in shock and awe, tried to keep the conversation going. Ryan maintained his dramatically sad tone and provided a few perfectly appropriate Yeses.

So, for the record: Age 6, First Phone Conversation.

There's nothing our kids can't accomplish.

1 comment:

  1. Dramatically sad tone is quite an understatement; imagine if his puppy had died. And, as I remember the conversation, his end was quite a bit longer than that. Cause some of the yeses had more text to them.

    This was the very best phone conversation I've had ever.

    And I think you've found the subject of your next book - The Magical Healing White Blanket.

    ReplyDelete

Keep it civil, people.