Wednesday, November 28, 2012

I Caught Him!

I caught him!

In another for the "Atypical Kid Does Typical Naughty Thing And Mom Kvells" file, I caught Ryan looking around to see if I was nearby before doing something he knew he wasn't supposed to do.

Ryan loves playing with my garden shears. "Clippers!" he demands. He finds it soothing to clip tiny bits off branches, and since it's a good hand exercise for him, I allow him - but my rule is he can only cut brown stuff, not green stuff. For whatever reason, he prefers clipping green stuff; he knows this annoys me.

So this afternoon, I was watching from the kitchen window as he was clipping away at a dead branch. Then he started looking around. He took a few steps sideways, looked around some more, moved closer to a very-much-alive little tree, looked around some more. Then he started clipping green stuff.

Of course, I had to come out right at that moment and call him on it, but I'm thrilled about his perfectly-typical deception. It demonstrates an understanding of rules and expectations, and that a person can't see something if she's not there. This is the sort of thing that would have made his preschool teacher cheer.

1 comment:

  1. That is fabulous! Ryan, Grandma is cheering you on! I can see that shifty eyed look now. Go for the green!

    ReplyDelete

Keep it civil, people.