Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Who is this Ryan person?

One of Ryan's less-attractive qualities is that he is easily frustrated. Before he even has his arms in the sleeves of his jacket he's likely to be wailing "I can not zip my coat up!" He will freak out that "I can not find my ___" when the toy in question is right next to him because it doesn't occur to him to turn his head and, oh, LOOK for the damn thing. As I've said before, throwing up his hands in defeat tends to be the rule.

His teacher and therapists and I have all put this at the top of our list of things we're working on with him.

So I have to admit I spit out my coffee when I read the following letter from his art teacher:
It is with great pleasure that I will be giving your child an award next week. Each month, we focus on a different character trait, encouraging our students to think about, practice, and develop.

The trait for March was "Perseverance."


As the Art Teacher, I watch for this quality all the time. Being an Artist means taking risks, sticking through a problem until it's solved, and sometimes starting over again and again. It's hard work. Your child is willing to work hard and stick with a challenge.

Ryan is someone who I feel exemplifies this trait consistently and is a role model for other students.
And then I called my mother, and she fell off her chair laughing about it. And then I told Stu, who stared at me as though I were speaking Japanese.

I have not met this persistent art student, patiently working through problems, but I would love to. I hope he makes an appearance sometime outside of art class.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep it civil, people.