Tuesday, November 22, 2016

The one thing that almost humanized Donald for me. Almost.

I've had so many thoughts about the results of the presidential election but neither the words nor the stomach to articulate them. Combinations of Heartbreak and Terror swirl around with good measures of Disgust and violent impulses aimed at stomping the patriarchy into the floor.

Amid news reports of how the American taxpayers are going to have to pay for double protection of the presidential family and New Yorkers are going to have to add hours to their commutes because Melania and Barron will be staying in New York through the end of the school year (New Yorkers might have to pay $1 million per day!), I started reading rumors that Barron is autistic, and that his mother is understandably wary of disrupting his routine.

As the mother of an autistic child, I thought that would help humanize the Trump family to me. But it's only made Donald seem more alien to me because of how he has chosen to handle - or not handle - the subject.

Assuming Barron actually is on the spectrum (again, I have no inside info on this), I would have expected that at some point during his presidential campaign his father would have talked about autism and the needs of autistic children and adults. Maybe he would have said something like, "Our schools are a disaster. They can't handle all the kids with autism. Can't handle them! And once they graduate, they can't afford any services at all! This is a huge problem. Huge, believe me. My son, he gets the best therapists. The best. But here in Pandersville, you can't afford an OT, you can't afford speech, because Obamacare doesn't cover that!"

Instead, Donald tweets garbage about vaccines causing autism, mocks a disabled reporter, and says nothing of his family's personal experience, as if admitting that his own son were autistic would somehow reflect poorly on him. He shows no compassion, no empathy, no policy-based solutions for the challenges the autistic community face. He promotes junk science - crap that has been debunked again and again. And he doesn't use any of his countless hours of public attention to promote an agenda that supports individuals on the spectrum.

I didn't expect any better. I had just been hoping to be surprised.


3 comments:

  1. You had me up until the "mocking a disabled reporter" bit. that was completely fabricated. He did NOT mock a disabled reporter. https://www.catholics4trump.com/the-true-story-donald-trump-did-not-mock-a-reporters-disability/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Your source is not an objective news site so I can not vouch for the credibility of any stories on it. This election has been characterized by false "news" stories and sources, making it almost impossible for people to have thoughtful conversations rooted in facts.

      I'll go with Snopes as a source, though many Trump supporters would consider that part of the *liberal mainstream media.* http://www.snopes.com/2016/07/28/donald-trump-criticized-for-mocking-disabled-reporter/

      2. If I had you up until that point, I think we can agree that we've got a challenging four years ahead of us.

      Delete

Keep it civil, people.